“I hope I am doing this right” – the heart cry of every parent.
We all want our kids to have the best life possible. We want them to have good friends, stay out of trouble, be healthy, find a loving spouse, be successful, have character/integrity…. and the list goes on.
With the future so unknown and with so much that we could fear – we all find ourselves on our knees frequently just praying “God help me”.
We frantically try to pray for everything we might ever need to pray for our children.
Our prayers might go something like this…
- May my kid know his/her worth.. May they know they are loved.
- Protect my kid from danger and from situations that would cause them harm..
- Godly friends and good influences in school, good teachers, good grades…
- Help my kid have a relationship with You and desire to live right.
- My kid’s future spouse and future kids…bless them
- Help my kid be influential and leader for his/her generation.
- Strengthen my kid to make good decisions….
- …. Oh, Lord…. just help!
All of these prayers are good, and beneficial, and necessary, and I pray all these same prayers too… but I have found comfort in one prayer that I pray for my kids everyday… and this prayer seems to cover most all the other prayers…
“Lord, may my kids know You, know Your voice, and obey Your voice.”
I can not possibly pray for every situation my child may encounter – but if my child knows God, knows His voice, and obeys His voice… I can trust that God will gently lead and guide my child through all the seasons of life.
“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me …. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”
This scripture/prayer is such a great promise to stand on for our kids.
This scripture promises Christians that:
- God knows our kids
- Our kids know God
- Our kids hear/listen to God’s voice
- Our kids obey/follow God’s voice.
All the other specific prayers great and necessary. However, I have found peace exerting most of my prayer energy on a daily basis to this simple prayer: “Lord, may my kids know You, know Your voice, and obey Your voice.”
Speak it: God, I believe that Your Word says that as Christians we know You, know Your voice, and follow Your voice. Lord, I pray and believe that from a very young age all of my children will know you, know your voice, and obey your voice. In Jesus Name, Amen.